Struggling with puffiness, dark circles, or bags under your eyes? Don't worry. We've all been there. These skin imperfections can leave you with a tired complexion and be challenging to cover up with your everyday makeup.
The skin under your eyes is thinner and more fragile than the rest of your face, which means it's more prone to skin sensitivities, irritation, and inflammation. If your under eyes are a recurring problem you can't shake, you've likely considered investing in under-eye patches to incorporate into your routine. These products are a quick, fast-working fix for under-eye problems and can benefit the delicate skin under your eyes.
But don't just take it from us - there's data and science behind the benefits and the effectiveness.
We're here to walk you through what they are, how under-eye patches work, and how to shop for formulas that deliver results.
Here's everything you need to know:
What are Under Eye Patches?
Under-eye masks are like mini sheet masks for the delicate eye area. Most eye patches curve to fit the contours of the face and are made up of hydrogel material, which helps maximize nutrient absorption and provide fast-acting results.
After just one use, eye patches can deliver instant, visible results, and with consistent use, many see results in less than four weeks – and sometimes even quicker.
What Causes Dark Circles and Puffiness?
Dark circles, bags, or puffy under eyes can happen for many reasons, some of which are beyond your control. Here's a look at a few of the most common reasons:
• Genetics: Some people have thinner skin under the eye simply because of genetics. It may run in the family if your family members struggle with similar issues.
• Dehydration: It will show under your eyes if you don't moisturize your skin daily or drink enough water. A lack of water retention will lead to a parched complexion, causing dark under eyes or puffiness.
• Aging Skin: Skin loses its elasticity as you age, and collagen production slows down, which can impact your complexion and lead to bags under your eyes.
• Poor Sleeping Patterns: Lack of sleep can cause your under eyes to appear darker or puffy due to fluid retention, different sleeping positions, and tossing and turning throughout the night.
• Allergies: Sneezing, coughing, and struggling with the changes in the weather? When you have allergies, your body naturally releases histamines, which leads to puffiness, dark circles, and other skin concerns.
• Thin Skin: Some people naturally have more delicate under-eye skin than others, making the blood vessels more prominent, leaving you with a purplish hue.
The Benefits of Under Eye Patches
Whether genetics or dehydration, under-eye masks can help combat these skin concerns and give you a revived complexion. All patches are formulated with different ingredients and have different benefits. When shopping for them, consider which problems you want to address and look for ingredients that target those..
Here are some of the other benefits:
Under-eye patches also contain hydrating ingredients like vitamin B5 and hyaluronic acid to improve moisture retention and help you achieve a plump, smooth, supple complexion.
Tired of waking up with puffy under eyes? If you're struggling with puffy under eyes, you'll want to look for ingredients like vitamin E, niacinamide, or allantoin to help soothe and calm the delicate under-eye skin.
Most under-eye patches for dark circles contain polysaccharides and vitamin C to help illuminate the under eye area.
Under-eye patches can also reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and other premature signs of aging, helping you maintain your youthful appearance.
If your skin needs extra attention after a long day, pamper yourself with under-eye patches. Applying them is a great way to help you unwind and relax. The cooling effect of the hydrogel material will help combat stress and help you revive your tiredness.
Do Under Eye Patches Work? What the Data Says
Now, you may be wondering: Do under-eye patches work? Am I truly going to see all of these benefits if I'm investing in high-quality eye patches?
At Augustinus Bader, we put The Eye Patches – our under-eye masks – to the test to see if they'll help you achieve the results you're looking for. During our Consumer Perception Study, we evaluated 105 males and females between 25-70 with self-perceived sensitive skin. We evaluated the results after one application and after four weeks of applying. Here's what the data says:
Do Eye Patches Help With Puffiness?
Yes. The Eye Patches are formulated with green tea extract to help depuff. After one application, 46% of participants agreed that The Eye Patches reduced their under-eye bags, and 79% experienced a reduction in eye area puffiness. After four weeks of regular use, 98% agreed they experienced reduced under-eye bags and puffiness.
Do They Help With Dark Circles?
Yes. There is data to show under eye patches for dark circles can help brighten and illuminate the eye area. After one application, 44% of participants reported a reduction in dark circles, and 59% agreed that their eye area looked brighter and more radiant. After four weeks, eye bags visibly reduced by 85%, and 100% of subjects' skin appeared more plump.
What About Aging? Can They Help With Rejuvenation?
Absolutely. The Eye Patches are formulated with vitamin E and B5 to help reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and other anti-aging concerns.
After one application, 55% of participants experienced reduced fine lines and wrinkles, while 83% reported smoother skin around the eye.
After one month of continuous use, participants felt their skin was 207% more elastic and 166% more firm.
Do They Help You Look More Energized?
Yes. The Eye Patches contain green tea extract infused with caffeine and essential antioxidants to help reawaken your complexion, alleviate puffiness, and give you a more energized complexion.
Most people notice a more energized complexion after just one application. Our data shows that 88% agree The Eye Patches make them look more awake, and 75% agree they look more energized and rejuvenated after just one use.
Why Choosing the Right Under Eye Patches Matters
Not all under-eye patches are going to deliver these types of results. Our team has spent years sourcing the best ingredients and putting our products through clinical trials to see these results.
Here's what you'll want to remember when shopping for under-eye patches to include in your routine.
• Do your research on the products
• Look for formulas that contain nutrient-rich ingredients that your skin can benefit from
• Avoid under-eye patches that contain irritants or synthetic fragrances
• Look for clinical trials and user studies
How to Use Under Eye Patches
If you're struggling with any of the skin concerns mentioned above, we recommend using this product at least 2-3 times a week to keep the delicate skin under your eyes revived and hydrated throughout the week.
Eye patches can also form part of a pre-event or pre-makeup routine to help revitalize your complexion. Our eye patches are available in a single sachet, so you can use them as a one-off treatment whenever you desire.
From there, here's how to use under-eye patches:
• Apply the patches directly under the eyes, with the slimmer end in the inner corner
• Leave on for at least 20 minutes to allow your skin to absorb the formula fully.
• Once the 20 minutes is complete, remove the eye patches and continue your skincare routine or an eye cream to prolong the results.
• You can use eye patches during your daytime, nighttime, or even inflight routine while you’re on the go and need a quick pick-me-up.
Do Under Eye Patches Work? Last Thoughts
So, do under-eye patches work? The short answer is yes. If you find a product formulated with the right ingredients, you can see results after just one use. However, not all eye patches are equal. To avoid unwanted irritation or skin problems, research and read the ingredient label to ensure the formula has what you need to address your unique skin concerns.
At Augustinus Bader, we've spent over 30 years fine-tuning our approach to skincare, so you can feel good about the products you choose to use in your routine.
The Eye Patches are a product of 30+ years of research, clinical trials, and thoughtful science. If you're ready to say goodbye to dark circles and puffy under eyes - you've come to the right place.