What’s the Difference Between a Cream and a Lotion?
Lotions and creams are both essential hydrators for your skin; their only difference lies in their consistencies. Think about a Body Cream vs. Body Lotion—a cream is thicker, with more oil-based emollients and humectants to moisturize the skin. A lotion, on the other hand, glides on your skin with a lightweight texture that’s usually water-based.
How do you choose between the two? A few factors may sway your decision:
- Skin type: Dry and dehydrated skin benefits from a luscious cream, while oily or combination skin may react better to lotions that could be less likely to clog pores.
- Climate: Cold weather can dry out skin, causing chapping, flaky skin, or redness, so a rich cream is effective for protecting and replenishing the skin’s moisture barrier. That same cream, however, may feel a little too rich in hot and humid climates, where a lotion’s light hydration would feel more comfortable. (Of course, you can also switch between a cream and a lotion as the seasons, and temperatures, change.)
- Personal preference: You may love the feel of a soothing, buttery cream on your skin after a shower, or perhaps you favor a lotion that sinks into the skin for quick hydration. That’s the great thing about Body Cream vs. Body Lotion—there’s something for everyone.
Using a Body Lotion
A body lotion offers quick skin revitalization. The rapid absorption helps your skin look and feel smoother, which can also minimize the appearance of common imperfections such as cellulite or dry skin. Applying lotion when your skin is still fresh from the shower or bath helps seal in moisture for extra softness. You can also give extra attention to your hands and feet by massaging in some lotion before you go to bed.
If your skin is extra-thirsty, or you have rough patches on the elbows, knees, or other areas, a cream might be in order for you. Creams, like lotions, can be used on damp skin, and you may also want a specialized hand or foot cream for very dry skin.
Choosing a Face Cream
The right face cream is intensely moisturizing and nourishes your complexion for a healthy-looking glow. It should have powerful, oil-based ingredients (popular choices include argan, jojoba, olive fruit, avocado, and sunflower seed oils) that supply antioxidants, fatty acids, and other elements that support a strong skin barrier. Hydrating creams also plump the skin temporarily, which diminishes the appearance of fine lines and promotes a supple, firmer feel to your complexion.
You can apply face creams day or night. They’re most effective at the end of your skincare routine, after skin is cleansed and dry. You can still use serums or face oils along with a cream, but apply serum first so it can deeply penetrate the skin. A drop or two of face oil can be mixed with your cream or applied after it for a lovely, heightened radiance.
Augustinus Bader Lotions vs. Creams
Body Cream vs. Body Lotion? You can have them both with our Bodycare collection. Here are some of our top recommendations:
- This multitasking moisturizer powerfully hydrates with ingredients such as shea butter bisabolol, polysaccharide moisture complex, and verbena. You see visible improvement in your skin’s tone and texture while stretch marks, pigmentation spots, and other issues appear reduced.
- This potent lotion has many of the same effective ingredients as The Body Cream, but with the lightweight feel of a lotion. Botanicals and nutrients such as vitamin B5, vitamin E, and aloe vera leaf juice also help draw and lock in moisture, leaving your skin delightfully soft.
- Hands tend to show the signs of premature aging—brown spots, lines—especially if you don’t slather on sunscreen or cream regularly. The Hand Treatment improves the appearance of your hands, while ingredients such as honey, glycerin, and white peony extract soften and soothe chapped, dry skin.
Looking for the perfect texture in a face cream? Our Facecare line has multiple options for you to choose from:
- Choose this cream if your skin is oily or you live in an urban or humid environment that leaves your skin congested. Australian lemon myrtle extract helps prevent excessive sebum production, and baobab leaf extract makes skin feel refreshed. The Light Cream is also less likely to clog your pores, thanks to rice bran oil, and its matte texture stands up to even the hottest days to minimize shine.
- This product has everything you want in a face cream. Vitamins A and C renew and brighten your complexion for a youthful-looking glow, while hydrolyzed rice protein and aloe vera juice soften and plump the skin to help minimize the look of wrinkles. Your skin looks firmer, smoother, and more youthful because it’s well hydrated and protected from environmental aggressors.
- Dry or mature skin benefits from this ultra-hydrating cream. Naturally derived oils (evening primrose, argan, and avocado oil) combine with amazing hydrators like hyaluronic acid and vitamin E for unparalleled moisturizing that helps your complexion look its best.
- Our advanced formulations use powerful botanicals like the ones found in The Ultimate Smoothing Cream. Potent antioxidants and anti-inflammatories—totarol, black cumin oil, evening primrose oil, and more—help protect the skin from free radical damage that triggers premature signs of aging.
No matter which products you choose, you benefit from our groundbreaking TFC8® technology. Backed by 30 years of scientific research, it’s a major innovation in smarter skincare that supports cellular renewal for vibrant, healthier-looking skin.
Discover our innovative, high-performance skincare and see the difference it makes in the look and feel of your skin. Purchase one of our game-changing formulas in skincare, supplements and haircare.