Creating a Skincare Routine to Address Your Acne
If you’ve ever woken up to see a pimple glaring back at you in the mirror, you know acne isn’t just for teenagers. In fact, you’re not alone if you struggle with pimples periodically: up to 50 million people in America have acne breakouts each year. The right skincare products for acne can help you maintain a clear, healthy-looking complexion.
Knowing What Type of Acne You Have
Under normal conditions, the skin’s sebaceous glands produce sebum, or oil, that keeps your complexion and its protective lipid barrier moisturized. However, there are times when the sebaceous glands go into overdrive, and the excess sebum–combined with bacteria, dead skin cells, dirt, or makeup–clogs the pores.
Pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads appear on the surface of your skin. These blemishes are referred to as non-inflammatory acne. If your skin gets irritated or inflamed, however, your breakouts may be red, swollen, or painful, with nodules or cysts forming underneath the skin’s surface. That’s called inflammatory acne.
You may be prone to breakouts if you have an oily skin type, and you’ll want a specialized skincare routine to help manage sebum production every day. But anyone can get hormonal acne, no matter what type of skin you have. Fluctuating estrogen, androgen, progesterone, and other hormone levels can trigger excess sebum production, typically during menstruation, puberty, menopause, and pregnancy. The severity of hormonal acne breakouts can also be influenced by stress, medication, or personal care products that clog pores.
The best luxury skincare for acne promotes oil control while nourishing your skin with high-performing active ingredients that support a refreshed, glowing complexion. Here are some cutting-edge products that work well for acne-prone skin.
Choosing a Cleanser for Your Skin’s Needs
An effective skincare routine for acne starts with the right cleanser. You need a product that’s powerful enough to lift away impurities, excess oil, and makeup to prevent clogged pores, but soothing enough to hydrate without drying out your skin.
Double cleansing is an ideal strategy for keeping blemishes at bay because it provides the gentle, thorough cleansing acne-prone skin requires:
- The Cleansing Balm is rich and hydrating, and it’s excellent at clearing away impurities so your complexion is decongested and purified.
- Follow it with The Cream Cleansing Gel, a lightweight cleanser that uses advanced skincare technology to calm redness, improve the look of pores, and support a healthy moisture barrier.
Improving the Look of Blemishes, Uneven Texture, and Congestion
Once you’ve finished cleansing, you want to apply products that balance the skin, visibly improving the tone and texture. Skincare for hormonal acne should also soothe stressed skin and promote oil control to minimize flare-ups and restore radiance to your complexion.
- The Essence isn’t a typical toner that acts as an astringent on the skin. Instead, it manages sebum secretion and diminishes the appearance of large pores while hydrating and helping the complexion lock in moisture. It’s also a gentle exfoliant that helps keep pores from clogging.
- The Serum revitalizes the overall appearance of your complexion. Your skin looks brighter, firmer, and more youthful.
- Turn to The Light Cream when you need skincare for hormonal acne. It gives your complexion a reset, with a long-lasting mattifying texture for shine control. The lightweight texture glides on your skin and is wearable in even the most humid climates.
That routine will help your complexion feel refreshed during the daytime. For a nighttime routine that promotes radiant, dewy skin, you can switch out The Light Cream for the following products:
- The Rich Cream’s deep hydration guards against transepidermal water loss (TEWL) so your skin looks plump, supple, and soft. This luxurious cream can also reduce the appearance of dark spots, which may be helpful if you experience hyperpigmentation after your pimple heals.
- The Face Oil provides the moisture your skin needs. Hydrators are vital skincare products for acne because they support a strong skin barrier to protect against environmental aggressors that exacerbate acne. You also need daily moisture because too-dry skin triggers the sebaceous glands to produce more oil. The Face Oil is lightweight so you only need a few drops for your skin to feel moisturized.
Augustinus Bader products are powered by TFC8®, a groundbreaking innovation in skincare science. This patented technology, with more than 30 years of scientific research behind it, supports the optimal environment for cellular renewal. With this singular formulation of nutrients and natural ingredients, your skin looks more vibrant for the long term. Our products are also clinically proven to be non-comedogenic and free from irritants that can aggravate breakouts, so you get superior skincare for acne-prone skin.
Finding the Right
Routine for You
Discover the best luxury skincare for acne. Purchase one of our game-changing formulas in skincare, supplements and haircare.